GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Calvin University bounced Albion College from the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Volleyball Tournament in three sets (25-19, 25-21, 25-18) at VanNoord Arena.
Kelsey Gustafson terminated two points and Grace VanDorn served an ace as Albion outscored Calvin, 6-1, to forge a tie at 10 in the second set. Albion took a 13-12 lead when Chloe Webber and Kate Winter combined on a block.
The teams matched points until Calvin scored four in a row to go up 21-18.
In the third set, Albion forged a tie at 9-9 on an Alexa Hitchko kill. Calvin ripped off a pair of three-point scoring runs to go up 16-11.
For the Britons:
- Winter led the attack with 12 kills, giving her a team-high 318 for the season
- Hitchko was effective in the middle of the floor, producing seven kills and four blocks. She moved into eighth place on Albion's single-season list for blocks with 83
- Gustafson, playing in her final collegiate match, also collected seven kills. She finished her career with 887 kills, fifth-most all-time at Albion
- Setter Grace VanDorn achieved another double-double in assists (20) and digs (10)
- Jenna Khoury collected 15 digs to finish with 493 in her first season as Albion's full-time libero.
Albion finished the season with a 16-11 record.
For the latest information on the team, follow @AlbionVball on Twitter and Instagram and Albion College Volleyball on Facebook. General athletic news can also be found @gobrits on Twitter, AlbionAthletics on Instagram and on Facebook (facebook.com/AlbionAthletics).
Joe and Julie Serra have given a $5 million leadership gift to launch a fundraising initiative to make two dreams a reality. The first is a newly expanded fitness and student activity facility at the site of the current Dow Recreation and Wellness Center. The second is a new or renovated facility for the volleyball, men's basketball and women's basketball teams that currently call Kresge Gymnasium home.
The College is continuing to raise funds in support of both projects. To learn more, call 517/629-0446 or email email@example.com.