Albion College was rewarded for its fourth place finish in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association by placing Oreyana Curry and Emily Bernas on the all-league teams released Thursday afternoon.
Curry, a senior guard from Dearborn Heights who prepped at Crestwood High School, was voted to the first team. Her aggressive drives to the basket helped her finish the season with 116 free throws, most in the MIAA and 39th in Division III.
In the 16 games against league rivals, Curry was second in the MIAA in free throw percentage, sixth in assists and seventh in scoring average.
Among Curry's highlights against MIAA rivals:
- A pair of 20-point games, including 23 in the game at Hope College
- Narrowly missed a double-double – finishing with 12 points and eight assists – at Kalamazoo College
- Hit a mid-range jumper with 9.1 seconds left to force overtime as Albion upset Hope at home
"It's a big honor and well deserved for Oreyana to be on the all-MIAA first team," Head Coach Doreen Carden said. "She had a big year, scored a lot of points, including reaching the 1,000-point milestone for her career. She draws a lot of attention when she has the ball and opens up a lot more for everyone else."
Bernas, a first-year forward from Waterford who prepped at Kettering High School, was a second team pick. Her MIAA averages of 12.6 points and 5.0 rebounds place her among the top 15 players in the league.
Among Bernas' highlights against MIAA rivals:
- Shot 48 percent from the field, a figure that places her eighth
- A pair of 20-point games, including 25 (with six assists) in the overtime win over Hope
- Narrowly missed a double-double – finishing with 21 points and eight rebounds – in the home win over Adrian College
- Averaged 15 points over the last five games, shooting 60 percent (31-of-52) from the field and 88 percent (7-of-8) from the free throw line
"Emily had a great freshman campaign," Carden said. "She can do a lot of things on both ends of the floor and is only going to get better. She had some big games for us this year against the big teams and was a huge addition to our team this year."
Get the latest information on the team by following @AlbionWBB on Twitter. General athletics news can be found @gobrits on Twitter and Albion College Athletics on Facebook