ALBION, Mich. – The Albion College men's basketball team won its third straight Saturday, turning back Case Western Reserve University, 74-69, but Head Coach Jody May hopes the Britons learned a lesson in the process.
"Good teams don't wait 30 minutes to turn it on," May said after the Britons improved to 9-2 heading into its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association opener, a Wednesday night home game against Calvin University. "Case Western outplayed us for 30 minutes, but we made enough plays down the stretch."
Albion had to be perfect down the stretch after falling behind 56-44 with 11:40 left. Albion still trailed 60-52 with 7:20 left.
Case Western made only two baskets in the final 7:20, and its seven other points came from the free throw line.
Juwan Perry, Devin Holmes and MJ Barnes, players who come off the bench, provided some of Albion's most important baskets. Perry knocked down a 3-point basket to pull Albion within one with 3 ½ minutes left, Holmes scored in the lane to keep Albion down one with 2 ½ minutes left and Barnes jumper put Albion ahead, 70-69, with a minute left.
After a Case Western turnover, Jamezell Davis, Jr., Albion's most dependable player in clutch moments, knocked down a jumper to extend the Albion lead to 72-69 with 28 seconds left.
Caden Ebeling finished the scoring when he tacked on a pair of free throws with 16 seconds left.
For The Britons
- Starting guard Cortez Garland was Albion's scoring leader for the first time this season. The sophomore from Detroit (Renaissance High School) matched his career high with 15 points. His two steals led to baskets in transition.
- Ebeling made all 10 of his free throws to finish with 14 points.
- Perry matched his season-highs with 11 points and four assists.
- Quinton Armstrong completed his first double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds. He stuffed the box score with two assists, two steals and a block.
- Albion improved to 3-2 in games when it has trailed at halftime.
For the latest information on the team, follow @AlbionMBB on Twitter and Instagram. General athletic news can also be found @gobrits on Twitter, AlbionAthletics on Instagram and Albion College Athletics on Facebook.
Joe and Julie Serra have given a $5 million leadership gift to launch a fundraising initiative to make two dreams a reality at Albion College. The first is a newly expanded fitness and student activity facility at the site of the current Dow Recreation and Wellness Center. The second is a new or renovated competition facility for the volleyball, men's basketball and women's basketball teams that currently call Kresge Gymnasium home.
The College is continuing to raise funds in support of both projects. To learn more, call 517/629-0446 or email firstname.lastname@example.org